Saturday, February 17, 2018

(In response to this (pdf) think piece by Adam Elga at Princeton)

Mostly because first I need to applaud Adam's setup and tear-down on this. I especially liked the "I'm *not* defending this overly broad misconstrual of my argument that I'm anticipating in my paper" bit.

On to the meat of it. This gives an entire generation of Dr. Evil-building writers a lot of meat to work with.

The real question that occurs to me is, wouldn't the applied version of the argument be something like (if you're hell-bent on evil-overlord galactic domination, as every proper Dr. Evil should be): Indifference until you can distinguish the the difference, and then beat the PDF to death with a lead pipe?

Meaning, I wonder if there's a game theoretic extension to this that leads to a fun takeoff from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.