Thursday, February 8, 2018

Followed by a 1900 word day. So I've got that going for me!

Now that I've stuffed the story in backwards, let's go back to the beginning.
So, I've made myself stay home from the day gig today. I've been working, but
I figure there's no point in passing my cold around to others. Besides, at
least in my case I don't always have to be there to get the job done.

And I got the words in that I didn't yesterday. In the writing sense, normal
for the time, and I can see 2000 daily as reasonable in the near future.
I also finished the Badlands process at Amazon (hung up in review because of
a file naming hiccup). (goes away for a minute to take a poke at Kobo if I
remember the password without getting up from my current chair)

So now we're live on amazon and kobo with both badlands and san angelo, in
both formats (paper/ebook) where available. Not too shabby for a sick day.
And I got some other work done. I'll take it.

And I avoided dropping myself into spending a couple thousand words talking
about something I read on the internet this week. Nothing major, it's not
even something that I think most people would care about. It's just part of
the subset of (would I rather be doing other things?) questions, that's all.

Ok, wait, I can't let it go at that. Suffice it to say: one of the hazards
of reading for a living, reviewer/tech/scienceEngineering/Pro Writer of any
sort, is that (in my experience) you run the risk of hitting a wall with
fiction writing. I went through a long stretch where reading for pleasure
was an absolute chore; spend somewhere like 10 to 15 hours a day doing nothing
but reading (for work though, not fiction just for the hell of it) and the
last thing you want to do is pick up a book.

I wonder if sometimes, that particularly cynical reviewer (or maybe not
reviewer, maybe it's a pro in another field who's spent an awful lot of time
looking at video or drawings or... it applies to many areas, I think) that
we all know (different for you than me, but you almost certainly know of one)
and love to hate; well, maybe what's just happened is that they've been
carrying around too much effort, and simply lost the habit of just letting
the words wash over them.

Blaming the writer, specific or generic,
(and remember sturgeon's law, and the garbage man's corollary: one man's trash
is another woman's treasure) is poor form in my opinion, if this is a hazard
of the job, generally speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.