Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Mentioning the day gig seems astonishingly repetitive. Of course, that's the daily routine for the vast majority of us, isn't it? That day to day stuff, piled up like it is, is almost always interesting in the moment. Even if all it does is pay the bills, it's always gotta be enough to get us through the day.

One way or another.

It's just that reading about it can be awful boring. I'm not in a position where I can reliably report what I do, either. If I'd gone the route of full-bore consultant, independent and at large in the world, maybe. But even then, I'd have owed my clients the benefits of silence in detail. That goes along with the prices, that confidentiality. And the best way to protect professionalism is never mention nothin'.

Same thing applies now I've walked the other path (the left hand path?) of working for someone else full time. Take their nickel, respect their boundaries. And this setup is golden, compared to what some confreres in the world have to say. My business away from the job, with the implication that I need to be professional. Which, see above comment about just keeping my mouth shut.

Not that I would tell any stories if I had any. It's technical work, in an interesting sub-field, and it tame. Necessary but tame. It's background.

In other words, there's no point in my trying to make it interesting enough, and obscure enough, to write up here. I don't have the interesting sorts of days that some other writers might; that's why I write fiction, it fills the imagination.

Careful. I find myself wondering if I'm working up to a story somewhere. Maybe when the current one's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.