Saturday, August 4, 2018

It's a Saturday afternoon with a bit of rain chasing down outside. The dogs have wandered off to nap with my sleeping wife, and here I am putting in a thousand or so words in on a story.

I've been at about two thousand per day over the past week, this was supposed to be a rest day, but the "put in even a few, every day" when you're in the middle of the story thing kicked in, and here I am.

That two thousand per day has been my horizon goal this year. Roughly, I knew there'd be some ups and downs given my day gig stuff. I didn't know at the start of the year that things would work out there quite the way they did, but I knew that one way or another there'd be a fundamental shift in how I did things on that front.

But I also knew, from the fiction side of things, what I wanted, in terms of the daily sitdown. From last year, which was sort of a return to a thousand words per day, in a way that didn't put my wrists into meltdown mode, I knew that if I tried to just jump up and go for it, I'd have to give up on it after a month or so. That's the curse of the day gig, in practical terms there are only so many hours of keyboard time available.

I'll have to rest and recover, monitor myself a bit, over the next few months, pushing my word count up to this next level. But I'm about on the schedule of where I thought I'd be, the way the words catch me up and the way the stories demand more of me. I can't wait to find out what stories are out there waiting for me over the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.