Tuesday, August 7, 2018

And First Glimpse is finished at about 17000 words. I was wondering for the past five thousand or so of those words what the thing's structure was shaping up to be. There were hints here and there that the story wanted to be longer.

Then the ending snuck up on me this morning.

Right before I realized that what it means is there's probably another novella waiting to follow it up. Or, that the story deliberately wants to leave me hanging, that's always a fun thing, like your undermind has reached out and thumped you on the back of the head.

Then again, now that I dig into it, A Wolf in Taos Valley ended up in that novella range, as well, and also had the same kind of propulsive ending.

I'm starting to think that my subconscious has a method behind these types of stories. Hmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.