Wednesday, March 14, 2018

We had another loss in the scifi community, while I was gone so I didn't know about it until I got back and had a chance to catch up with things a bit.

Kate Wilhelm for me was one of the joys of short fiction. Basically, since I've been alive, and definitely since I started reading the short fiction magazines, Kate was a regular joy for me. Her name was magic; if she was in the table of contents, I knew I had at least one story in the issue that was going to make it worth it and more than worth it.

I didn't follow her mystery work as much, but for scifi and fantasy, she is a name to conjure with in the short story.

I dug around for her bibliography to refresh myself on which stories I'd read, and there was one that jumped out more than any other, immediately. That it won the Nebula that year doesn't surprise me: if you haven't read it, if you can get your hands on a copy of "The Girl Who Fell Into the Sky" (careful, there are few other titles out there that match up with similar titles, so Kate's name is important here), then I promise that meeting Lorna will make it worth it for you.

I also didn't put two and two together until I dug for it; I didn't realize Pulphouse had published "The Girl Who Fell Into the Sky". I think I'll run over and ask Dean W. Smith if he still has copies floating around...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.