Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Story Song Structure (6): If I Had A Boat

I told you about star-crossed lovers, tragic and regretted. I told you about hellbound losers and ex-pats with plans easy to let go of. This one's for the dreamers.

There are (almost) no tricks to Lyle Lovett's If I Had A Boat (link here). There's no need for them.
Oh, but he's got a smile for us. Tonto telling Kemosabe to take a hike...

The frame here is by now a standard one. Here, Lyle gives us a static frame with the chorus, and the story's verses are whole, but vignettes, three little stories all connected to the frame, leading back to the dreamer's sea.

I said there were almost no tricks. That's not quite true. At the end of the original recording, Lyle repeats the last line.

I wonder about that. Note, I don't say this detracts from the song or anything. However, what I question is whether this was the way Lyle first wrote it. Now, this is a standard way to exit a song, it's a classic way to let the listener know "I'm done now" in shorthand.

Here, what I'd love to know is whether Lyle, or a producer or somebody else, listened to a first pass and said "it just sort of finishes, maybe we should add something, end it a little more definitively?" It has that feel, given how precisely the whole thing works together, in terms of symmetry of the chorus. Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.