Monday, June 25, 2018

I went round and round with myself about how I wanted to talk about this, the movie called Bohemian Rhapsody, aka a Freddie Mercury and Queen biopic.

I saw the trailer for it this weekend, it was the first time I remember hearing that the movie had actually been made. I was cautiously optimistic. At first.

Then I made the mistake of reading the wikipedia entry on the movie. And I lost my optimism.

Look: Freddie is protected.

First, because Brian and Roger were never going to allow the suits to turn Freddie into the "Hollywood Biopic" freakshow extravaganza.

Second, because let's face it, first gen Queen fans are all doing what I have, i.e. pretending this doesn't exist.

Meaning: without Brian and Roger, there's no Queen music. Which sort of blows anything else about making a picture about Freddie out of the water. And, Queen fans aren't going to be impressed by an extended music video.

So I get it. This was a thankless task.

But really, Hollywood suits? You tried it anyway? First, attaching Sasha Baron Cohen to this for any reason at all. Then Bryan Singer, right up to the point where he walked off the job with a couple months to go.

Warning signs much? I wonder how many times Brian May had to say "No" before everyone realized he meant it. And that he had the money and power to make it stick no matter the stage of the project.

Ah, well. Just remember, everyone involved with these sorts of projects. There are worse, just waiting for you to entangle yourselves in.

Graham Chapman. John Lennon.

My suggestion would be to wait a couple generations. The Pythons are considerably less forgiving than Brian May. And God help you if you ever cross Yoko and Paul, because no one else will.

Assuming you've learned to watch for the warning signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.