Sunday, March 3, 2019

So I had an interesting post all fixed up in my mind. This thing was going to be fantastic, I had literary intentions I did. Links to ideas, constructions of little trails from Irving and Poe to Morrison, with a few stops in between for the penny dreadfuls and EC comics.

It was great.

It was dull as dishwater, and useless as a rooster with socks.

Instead, let's talk Tina.

Then again, about all I can really say about Tina Turner is that I love the lady. Which, so far as I can tell, is pretty close to the universal reaction. That said, there are two stories of her that I like especially.

The first one comes from an interview Tina did with Oprah some years back. The whole thing interesting of course, but the bit I remember was Tina bringing up Sheryl Crow's song "All I Wanna Do" from "Tuesday Night Music Club". What I recall is Tina saying that she absolutely loved that song, and that she wished she'd recorded it.

What sticks out to me was Tina's love for song, not just that particular song. Here she was, a Legend in the most significant sense, and the joy on her face talking of a new song... fired up and ready to roll.

My second story of Tina comes from my mother. Mom saw Tina in the Ike and Tina Turner Revue days, at the local civic center. Mom said this was one of those shows, the big ones that stick in the mind long after all the others; one of the good ones.

And the bit that stuck out more, even with all the fantastic music: they opened the show with "Proud Mary", Ike doing his bass line intro and Tina nowhere to be seen. Then she starts her intro, and still, no Tina to be seen. Then, the spotlight fires up.

Pointing to the back of the hall, where Tina is held aloft by four... Tina set her intro to the four carrying her down the aisle, spotlight focus and the entire hall very much enraptured. "And we never, ever do anything.... nice," and the two guys in front knelt, and the four used the fur they'd carried her on to lift and throw, and Tina leapt into the transition, the part we all know as the horns and the singers and the world lit afire and the show went all the way to the river...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.