Sunday, October 11, 2020

Weekend Projects

Once Hurricane Delta passed us by, that meant I had a weekend of projects to finish.

It began with telling half of the feline contingent how I felt about brushing out all of his fur. He's shedding ahead of the winter coat. And as you can tell, he's not exactly ready to admit anything regarding the pile of loose fur I've just swept up...

Complaining orange nitwit

His Orangeness wasn't done, of course. Here he is performing the role of safety inspector. (Note: if you don't know what any of these items are, other than the cat, please call an electrician if an outlet is acting up. If you're nervous about working with electricity, that's a good thing!)

Feline Safety Inspector

Finished with the outlet replacement, I then moved on to installing a set of drawers. We've been making do with shelves on a set of kitchen roller units for... gosh it's been 20 years and five different apartments/houses, more or less. Anyway, we got tired of fighting the soda storage, so I'm putting in a set of drawers to make life easier.

The drawer rails needed a little modification; I don't have a drill press handy, so here's my solution for this particular case. (Note: yes, use the safety gear. We won't talk about the fact that I'm now wearing tri-focal prescription safety glasses will we? I will insist that you take my word for this, though: metal shavings in your eye are no fun. Trust me. Thus, my safety glasses. Gloves too, because yeah I know what metal splinters feel like, as well. You don't see the ear plugs because your humble photographer was wearing them...)

Improvised Drill Press

Having seen that one of the cats had stuck his nose into the business, the canine contingent showed up to help. Of course, they're more interested in what's going on at the front door...

Canine Carpenters...

Here's the drawer rails right after installation, but before the drawers themselves go in.

Incomplete Drawer Installation

And then here's the finished setup.

Drawers Completed

And of course, my feline inspector once again needs to put his stamp of approval on the proceedings. I told him I measured it all square and everything before I bolted it down, but of course he's not satisfied with that.

Feline Carpentry Inspection

Last project of the day: dinner. Our daughter is in a culinary class; we're out of carrots due her needing to practice dicing this week, so the part of carrots and mirepoix for our Mulligan Stew was instead played by bell peppers and the Trinity.

Day's Final Project

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.