Sunday, October 4, 2020

Giggle Moment

Giggle moment

So the political season is of course in full swing for those of us in the U.S..

We have the endless commercials. In which some pretend to a modicum of human decency. I try not to scoff, because five minutes every four years or so is at least better than zero.

The attack ads are also being trotted out. Primary season came and went a few months ago in my area, so many of the most volatile boiled off. That said, there are attacks floating around; at least one line of attack, where my wife and I have some small direct knowledge of one of the participants, has both of us scratching our heads.

Wondering why the attacker in question is being very careful about not mentioning parts of their personal history. But then we went and dug through that attacker's newly released employment records...

That same attacker is the one who made me giggle this week.

My habit is, with the day's work done, I wander downstairs, clean up the cat box, head to the mail, and generally walk off the hours at the computer before tackling dinner.

With the silly season in full grunt, the mailers from the various politicals involved started ramping up a few weeks ago. And I must say, they're putting in some effort, at least in terms of the quality of materials involved in the flyers.

That said... A few days back, I pulled out a fistful of mail, and one of the pieces had an interesting photograph. My brain said, "I wonder which travel company is trying to get me interested in a trip to Central/South America?"

I mean, the photo was that good, that well composed, and the subject in question looked exactly like something I'd see in one of those airline magazines, where they really want us to put together 4 days 3 nights' worth of miles and rewards and spend some time in Belize or Chile or wherever.

So I tucked my mail under my arm and wandered back to house and kitchen. Thinking the whole time, "Well, it's 2020, the airlines are desparate. I wonder what resort they're trying to sell me on?"

The picture being that good, after dinner, I sat down and went through the mail with more concentration. Not that I've got the extra money to throw around; college for the daughter unit looms, people. Cash flow is precious.

But that doesn't mean this little researcher doesn't have dreams. And patience. Time will come.

So right away, I found the flyer.

And discovered that our political attacker thinks pictures of Burning Man are going to scare me from voting for their opponent.

Um. Ok, one, when your vicious attack flyer doubles as a travel ad for Burning Man, I think maybe somebody missed the point. Or, at least, doesn't quite match up with the person who built the graphics.

Two, they really got the wrong demographic.

And three... hey, did you know the (statistically) youngest of the Woodstock attendees will be turning 70 next year?

And that we (attacker, opponent, and me) all live in a state that had to recently decriminalize some small degree of marijuana posession because the legislators all realized that Muffy and Buffy were going to Colorado for their spring break ski trips and likely coming back with a little something something tucked into their bags?

I write not to preach. Vote because it does indeed matter. The dog catchers and the school board members and the water board members are the ones who'll be, ten, twenty years down the road, moving on up the scene.

Just do me a favor.

Keep an eye out for the funny little moments. Because lord knows, we all need our sense of humor this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.