Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Book journal stuff. These aren't reviews per se, and they are all books I've either purchased or checked out from a library.

Basically, instead of keeping notes in a paper book, I'll take a swing at doing some notes online. Trying to keep the ideas and impressions and things I've learned from a given story in mind.

Ok, enough with the throat clearing: F.T. Lukens' The Rules and Regulations for Mediating Myths And Magic is an absolute hoot. I had an absolute blast reading this first book in a series, and I say thank you, F.T., because I enjoyed the hell out of my time with this little crew.

What'd I learn? Go for it. Dive in and go for it, once the story gets rolling don't get in the way of it.

Yeah, it's a high school with magic setting and so what if this is all things a reader, as they say, "familiar in the art" can guess where we're headed.

But then, with a good roller-coaster, you can see everything you're getting into. Does it matter when you've got your hands in the air climbing up to the drop? Oh, hell no it doesn't.

I've questions, of course. There are pretty big bows tied up on some aspects of the story, where others are set up beautifully. I want to know how all these things are going to work out.

And, just how F.T. is going to untie the bows that wrapped up the happy ending stuff. Or whether this will be necessary at all (see above about just going for it. F.T. can go along just fine, I suspect.) Either way, I look forward to finding out what happens with the Monster of the Week...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.