Tuesday, April 30, 2019

In my current work-in-progress, I hit a stretch of the book where I found myself grinning. For what's going on in the story, and for the way it's unfolding. I recognized what was happening and how I wanted to see it play out in the doing of it. And that is a very fun feeling.

I'll give more detail as I get through it. More or less? halfway through? I think? Maybe. In a stage where I'm hip deep in it and am more interested in the doing and the telling than I am talking about it. Another of the fun parts of this whole business, at my present stage of craft it's my brain's way of saying "shh...working...shut up and write..."

On a different note: one of the little joys of the modern world are the streaming music services. I grew up on FM radio; really, streaming with my headphones on is no different than a transistor radio with an earplug. Considering that I don't mind listening to the commercials, in fact it's almost exactly the same.

Except... except for the kind of day I had on Sunday. Working in the yard, earbuds as much hearing protection as anything as I was using an electric saw and drills and so on, and my streaming service (I've been on Pandora since the gang there migrated from the original graduate school project, not an endorsement just info, everyone's got their favorites by this point) seemed to be fascinated with Concrete Blonde and Marvin Gaye. At one point, Pandora took me from "What's Going On" through "Inner City Blues" (both Marvin Gaye), then "Just My Imagination" (Temptations) and "Evangeline" (Levon Helm and Emmylou Harris), to finally finish up on "Bloodletting" (Concrete Blonde).

Ever a fan of pirate and college radio, I have to admit that even the best DJ would have a hard time keeping up with the things that shuffle up from the deck that the streaming services give us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.