Thursday, September 27, 2018

I wonder how those moments in any story come. Writers, you know the ones. The simple statement maybe, the paragraphs.

And then the tears. Or the wicked smile, chuckle. The grimace, those too, maybe it was a little too on the nose?

The little moment, the one that makes you wonder if you're writing the rest of the story to get to this place. Not ever that the rest of the story is about this place, or that this moment is the Theme, no. These aren't facades and set dressing we're talking about here.

Ninety percent of the time these moments maybe don't actually have anything to do with the rest of the story at all. Throwaway comments a reader (including the writer, always) might never even notice.

But for me at least there's always still that moment. The one that sticks out and trips me up, puts a smile on my face or sends me somewhere else.

And then I think, how many of those moments do I build, accidentally on purpose, for others?

And then I go back to the well. Because I know that other writers can yank me that way, so maybe I owe it to a reader or two, somewhere down the line, to pass them a little of that magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.