Monday, May 14, 2018

(a comment I left at Dean Wesley Smith's place, talking about working with the
creative voice in writing a story)

I throw this out there in case it might help anyone else get a feel for one way to interpret what I understand you to mean by following the creative voice in this way:

For me at least, this is the voice that says "And then what happens?" Big-eyed, a three-year old's wonder at the story and where it's going. That's where the magic lives. And then what happens... and then what happens...

Here's one way I've found to capture it. Grab a copy of The Hobbit, and read a chapter out loud, to yourself, to the dogs or the cats or the empty air, one per night. Take your time, do it right, use voices and everything or just go for rolling along and getting carried up. Either way, the wonder of it is waiting there to catch you up.

Another one that worked for me is Dune. The opening of each chapter, with the Irulan quotes, every night settling in... that's magic.

My daughter, when we were first teaching her to read, was fascinated by me reading an illustrated version of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein to her. She wanted that story every night. If you've ever wondered what that book was doing in the pantheon, there's one way to find the power of it if you've never otherwise gotten hooked. The full text version, it's when the creature pontificates, rails against his creator in full rolling glory, or promises that he'll be there on the wedding night, that's where the whole flight takes off.

I'll quit my rambling, but that's where I am with this at the moment, learning to listen for that magic question... and then what happens?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.