Sunday, September 27, 2020

Stuff I've Been Enjoying 9-27-2020

Stuff I've Been Enjoying 9-27-2020

The Twenty Palaces series by Harry J. Connolly.

I mentioned a bit ago that I'd recently been consumed in reading another series. The Twenty Palaces stories are that series. The first book to be published in this series, Child of Fire, had been sitting in my To Be Read folder for a while now; I'd finished one of Connolly's more traditional fantasy books, One Man, and bought the Twenty Palaces book in response.

So it sat there, waiting on me. And then I read it, and the next few days went by in a bit of a blur. I grabbed all the other stories in the series, one after another. What grabbed me, then?

Let's see. Dark fantasy, urban fantasy with an edge. A secret society of mages who hunt down and destroy any who dare tread on their territory. And a misfit main character who definitely doesn't belong, but also doesn't have anywhere else to go. So a setting with depth and teeth.

That part; as well, the main character, characters really as we discover through further reading. Ray Lilly and his mentor Annalise hunt nightmares and peel apart the greed that summoned them. I'm in this one for as long as Connolly wants to write the stories because of Ray and Annalise.

I want to find out what happens to them.

Well, and what the ghost knife ultimately means. Four books and a novella, Connolly, you're headed for a surprise with this one and I can't wait to find out what it is. Thank you, Harry Connolly, for one hell of an entertaining series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.