Sunday, August 9, 2020

Stuff I've Been Enjoying 8-9-2020

The World of the Five Gods, by Lois McMaster Bujold

Damnit, Bujold ambushed me. There I was, minding my own busines, finishing up L. E. Modesitt's Corean Chronicles, when the handy little "You might be interested in this..." algorithm threw The Physicians of Vilnoc at me.

Ah-hah, says I. I've been reading fantasy series for a little while now, I know better than to fall for that.

What's the first book in the series? Penric's Demon? Hmm...

Reader, I looked up a few days later and I'd read all of them. 8 novellas, three longer novels. I stopped myself when I then went on and bought the first book in The Sharing Knife.

After I read it, of course. But nope, says I, I won't fall for that one again. Nope, I'm stronger than that, I'll save myself from Bujold's wicked powers this time, I'll put the rest of the Sharing Knife on hold, I will. Save it up, like the next bin of ice cream in the deep freeze.

I just need to clear my head, really. Read some short stories. A couple of other novels by other authors that have been waiting in my queue. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll be standalones...

I didn't get very far, reader, before I got ambushed by another series. But that's a story for a later date. For now, I tip my hat to Lois McMaster Bujold and say thank you for hauling me back into a stretch of reading two and three books a day for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.