Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Now here's a fun way to spend a few pleasant hours: Finished Clive Barker's Everville, and now I'm in the middle of Tim Powers' The Stress of Her Regard.

An accident of timing in the to-be-read pile, certainly, but an interesting one, nonetheless.

Everville was very fun; it wasn't one of the new editions, I found an older paperback at Half-Price on my last trip there. I haven't read Great And Secret Show, something I didn't know was even necessary until I cracked the binding and found "Second Book of the Art" listed.

Fortunately, I dug through it anyway, and Clive hooked me as he almost always does, and gave me the groundwork I needed as I went along.

I say almost always because I bounced off Imajica. A big part was me, at the time Imajica came out, I just wasn't much in a place for it to catch me.

Damnation Game, Coldheart Canyon, those I caught but somehow I missed Great and Secret Show and Everville. The Books of Blood, I think I'm on my third or fourth copy of the first collection, I got that one the first edition, and this may be the first time I've had them stay in my house for longer than a year. All my other copies I loaned out to spread the word, and they never came back. Not that I mind. Sort of like Tad Williams and my copies of his first three novels, there are some stories I share widely.

Stress of Her Regard, well; mostly I had a hard time finding a copy, but the newest trade paper edition came out and I jumped on it as soon as I noticed. Tim, I started with The Anubis Gates, and return to the various other novels as I find them. Last one I read was Three Days to Never, which is a fun discussion all by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.