Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Well, my lawn's certainly happy with the rain. The grass had just gone into
August dormancy. Harvey's mixed blessing let the grass know it was safe to
come back into green mode. The rest of the grass mowing season is gonna be
a lot of fun.

The pear trees and the gang of rowdy apples I've got are starting to
think there's a bit too much of a good thing, though. One of the pears is
store bought, the apples and the pear are up from cores I planted when we
first moved in as an experiment. A single pear tree has made it so far from
that core, the apple core is currently a cluster that I'm likely to cut back
to a pair or trio of stems this winter.

They've all got wet feet at the moment. It won't take long to dry out, though,
once the sun comes back out. It is still August in Texas.

The garden boxes were a mess anyhow. Weeds and open space, I haven't had
much time to keep them going past the first planting last spring. Then
again, I said at the time, if I got a few tomatoes and a good start with
the blackberry, I'd call it a win. And that's pretty much what we've got.

The roses are a little funky, but that's their right. The backyard roses
are in baskets that I'm planning on filling in around as my planter box
project this winter.

I'm terrified of one of them, though. She's our blushing pink rose, and she's
starting to take over the bed she's planted next to. I'm afraid of what she's
gonna be like when I give her room to spread her roots...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it on the sane side. There are an awful lot of places on the internet for discussions of politics, money, sex, religion, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. In this time and place, let us talk about something else, and politely, please.